The interplay between biological and geological processes presents a cutting edge area of Earth Science research. Our faculty, combined with the strong interdisciplinary team in this area across the campus, provide leadership in this field. Work focuses on the role of microbial life in shaping the world of hot spring environments and in controlling the geochemistry of natural groundwaters.
- Prof. Bruce Fouke Terrestrial microbiology, coral reef studies, environmental microbiology
- Prof. Jim Best Process sedimentology and the fluid dynamics of clastic sedimentary systems
- Prof. Sue Kieffer Dynamics of geysers and fluid flow
- Prof. Gary Parker Evolution of landscapes and seascapes in response to erosion and deposition
- Prof. Marcelo Garcia River Mechanics & Sediment Transpo
- Prof. Bruce Rhoads Fluvial Dynamics, Geomorphology
- Prof. Alison Anders, geomorphology